The Pinhole Technique™ Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach
Receding gums not only can affect the way your mouth and smile look, but they can also be an indication of gum disease. The Pinhole Surgical Technique™ repairs receding gums and vastly improves on the traditional method of addressing receding gums. Redondo Beach Dental Group is proud to offer the Pinhole Surgical Technique to our patients who might be suffering from periodontal disease or other issues that can cause gum recession. If you’re suffering from gum disease or receding gums, make sure you call us at (310) 660-7726 to learn more about the Pinhole Technique.
Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients have discovered that The Redondo Beach Dental Group is one of the premier dental offices in the area. We’ve built our practice from the ground up on the principle of making every single one of our patients feel 100% comfortable from the second they walk through our door. From our stylish, modern decor to the advanced technology we use in our office, everything we do is to maximize your comfort and security.
What Causes Receding Gums?
In a healthy tooth, gum tissue covers and protects the base and root of the tooth. Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach Patients with gum recession may experience sensitivity to hot and cold on those teeth. Plus, tooth root decays and rots faster than the hard enamel on the surface of your teeth. There are a few different things that can cause that gum tissue to start to recede back away from the tooth, exposing the root and nerve.
- Gum disease – The number one cause of gum recession is gum disease. Gum disease is when bacteria in the mouth infect and destroy the gum tissue and bone support around a tooth.
- Hard brushing – Brushing too vigorously with your toothbrush can also wear down the enamel on your teeth and cause gum recession.
- Grinding/clenching teeth – If you grind your teeth at night it can put pressure on your gums and wear them away.
- Crooked teeth – If your teeth are out of alignment, it can also put pressure on your gums and cause them to recede.
- Poor dental hygiene – Without proper brushing and flossing, bacteria can build up on your teeth, become hard, and turn into tartar which can cause gum recession.
What is the Pinhole Technique™?
Our Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients used to have only a few methods to repair receding gums. They are:
- Connective Tissue Grafting – Traditionally, with this method, a piece of gum tissue is taken from the palate, or the roof of the mouth and placed over the root and under the surrounding gums. This method is still preferred by many clinicians as it works, but it is very expensive and painful, as it involves cutting and suturing.
- More Recent Grafting Methods: These newer surgical techniques are basically the same as the “Traditional” technique, however the source of the tissue is a from a third party—human, or possibly not. Still expensive and painful, as it also involves cutting and suturing. A more recent variation of this technique is to detach the gums from the root of the tooth, but insert the tissue thru a tunnel. Still expensive, painful, and requires sutures.
- The Pinhole Surgical Technique™ allows dentists to repair receding gums without a second surgical site, without cutting and without the need for sutures. Instead, a small pinhole is created in the gums. The dentist then uses specialized, patented instruments to work thru the “Pin-Hole” and tease the gums away from the root. Collagen is then inserted thru the Pin-Hole to plump up the gums over the root. This allows the gums to reattach to the tooth and protect the root.
Pinhole Surgical Technique™ Recovery
After having gum recession repaired with the Pinhole Technique, Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients require very little, if any, special care for recovery. For most patients, the pinhole created in the gum line can heal within 24 hours.
The most amazing difference between the all of the other procedures to treat gum recession and the Pinhole Surgical Technique is the immediate results without the need to cut or suture the tissue, along with the lack of post operative pain. Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach Patients should simply leave the area alone and avoid brushing and flossing that part of their mouth. One of the tremendous benefits of the Pinhole Surgical Technique is that it offers patients a very quick turnaround time with fantastic results.
Gum recession is one of the leading causes of gum disease which can also cause other health issues. If you’ve noticed any sensitivity on your teeth because of receding gums, call Redondo Beach Dental Group at (310) 660-7726 to learn more about the Pinhole Technique. Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach men and women can get almost immediate relief from gum recession, improve their smile, and also protect their teeth from decay and damage.