Root Canal Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach
Hearing your dentist mention the words “root canal” can send many Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients into a cold sweat. But when you think of the alternative, loosing your tooth and having it replaced with a costly dental implant, it doesn’t sound so bad. But if you’ve started to have any pain in your teeth and gums, it could be a good decision to give Redondo Beach Dental Group a call at (310) 542-6988 to see if you need to have a root canal. It is always better and less expensive to save your own teeth than to have them removed and replaced with something else!
Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients have come to love our clean, modern dental practice because of the incredibly personal and comfortable experience that we provide. We work hard to make you feel like you’re walking into your friendly and professional environment and that you’re welcome. We always greet you as soon as you walk in the door, and we do our absolute best to make sure your appointment happens at the scheduled time. We understand that your time is valuable.
On top of all of that, we’ve built our practice from the ground up giving you the care you need with as little discomfort as possible. We do this by listening closely to all of your concerns and then talking openly and honestly about how we can help. Give us a call today if you’re concerned that you might need a root canal or if you have any questions whatsoever about your dental health. We are here to help.
What Causes the Need for a Root Canal?
A normal cavity is when the outside of the tooth has become decayed. If you catch this decay soon enough by visiting your dentist on a regular basis, all they’ll need to do is remove the decay and fill the cavity.
But if that decay is allowed to continue, it will eventually eat through the outside of your tooth and infect the inside of your tooth where the nerve and the blood supply are. Then it is time for a root canal procedure.
What Is A Root Canal?
Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients who come to us for a filling, often ask what the procedure entails.
- The first step is to confirm that the nerve inside of the patient’s tooth is infected. We usually do this using x-rays. We get an x-ray of the tooth, which in a lot of cases is all we need. If necessary, we can run other tests—electrical, hot, and cold to determine the vitality of the nerve.
- If the nerve is infected to its root, the next step is to completely anesthetize the entire area around the tooth.
- We offer the latest in sedation dentistry and some patients also opt for this during their root canal.
- Once the area is numb, we drill into the tooth, electronically precisely measure the length of the root, remove the infection, and then fill the root canal with rubber to seal it off from the rest of the body.
- The final step is to seal up the tooth, so bacteria doesn’t get inside and do any further damage, with either a filling or a crown if a lot of the tooth structure is missing
Signs You Need A Root Canal
If you’ve started to notice any of these symptoms, it could mean that you have more than just a cavity and may need a root canal. Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients shouldn’t wait to get their root canal since that can cause even more pain and complications.
- Sensitivity to cold and hot foods, even after you remove the source of heat or cold.
- Sensitivity to chewing certain foods.
- Pain that comes and goes in your tooth.
- Discolored tooth.
- Swollen gums.
Root Canal Recovery
After a root canal, Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients should not experience much discomfort or swelling. During the days that follow, eating soft, healthy foods can speed up the recovery process. Soups, soft vegetables, yogurt, smoothies, and pasta can help you get the nutrients your body needs to make a speedy recovery.
We understand that, perhaps in your past, dealing with dental issues hasn’t always pleasant. That’s why here at Redondo Beach Dental Group, we’ve done everything in our power to put all of our Redondo Beach & Manhattan Beach patients at ease. From our kind and understanding staff to our stylish decorations along with leather, ergonomic chairs, we go above and beyond your expectations. We offer cutting edge technology and quality of care that not every dentist can deliver. You can rest assured that we’ll do everything we can to keep you comfortable. Give us a call today at (310) 542-6988.