Periodontal Care Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach
The number one cause of adult tooth loss is gum disease. Also called periodontitis, gum disease is a silent, and often painless, tooth assassin that slowly eats away at the bone around the roots of your teeth, your gums, and even your jawbone. Without proper periodontal care, periodontitis can completely dissolve your bone, requiring that your teeth be removed and replaced. Redondo Beach patients who have experienced any sort of bleeding, swelling, redness, or tenderness should contact us immediately for a complete examination.
At Redondo Beach Dental Group, we believe in the fine art and science of dentistry and in a non-invasive approach to helping you obtain optimal dental health. We also believe in your need for personalized care and attention by our dental hygiene specialists to explain and treat this disease. That is why all of our oral hygiene and periodontal care appointments are at least one hour with your hygienist, unlike other offices that try to rush their treatment into as little as 15 minutes. They need this time to be gentle, thorough, and successful.
We offer Sedation Dentistry and the latest, cutting edge dental technology (like lasers) that you won’t find at any other dental practice in the region. If you’re ready to set up a hassle-free and anxiety-free consultation with us, call us at (310) 542-6988. We can’t wait to help you finally have a healthy, pain-free mouth that you love to show off every time you smile.
What is Periodontitis (Gum Disease)?
Most people don’t realize that their mouths are full of bacteria–over a billion different kinds of bacteria, actually. Some of those bacteria are good while some are bad and can cause infections in your mouth.
One of the places that bacteria love to hide is in the space between your teeth and your gums. Without regular brushing and flossing, these bacteria can slowly cause infections. The first stage of gum disease is called gingivitis. If you suffer from gingivitis then you’ll have red, sore gums that bleed often.
Eventually, the infection can get so bad that the bacteria starts to eat away at the bone supporting your teeth. In this advanced stage, your teeth may be loose or they won’t feel “tight” and secure in your mouth. Chances are if your teeth feel loose, then you have lost more than 50% of the bone holding them in your mouth.
Treating Gum Disease with Periodontal Care
Redondo Beach patients who are suffering from mild to severe gum disease can still get a healthy mouth with a treatment plan from our doctors. The first step is to immediately give us a call at (310) 542-6988 and set up an appointment so we can perform an examination.
Non-Surgical Treatment for Gum Disease
If your gum disease is not in an advanced stage, you will not need surgery. There are different options that our doctors will go over with you.
- Scaling and root planing – With this procedure, our hygienists will use an ultrasonic tool to remove tartar and plaque from the surface of your teeth as well as below the gum line.
- Laser therapy – We are firm believers in giving our team access to the latest in dental technology. That is why we have 6 different lasers (for different purposes) in our practice so we can safely, comfortably, and accurately treat our patients. We use lasers to treat gum disease by removing tartar and plaque, remove infected gum tissue and also as an antibacterial.
- Antibiotics – Another non-surgical option is to treat gum disease with low-grade systemic antibiotics. We also use PerioProtect® that allows patients to destroy bacteria themselves in just a few minutes a day using custom-made dental trays, similar to teeth whitening trays. The trays help push diluted hydrogen peroxide gel under the gums to kill the bacteria while simultaneously whitening your teeth.
Surgical Periodontal Care
Redondo Beach patients who have more severe cases of gum disease may need surgery to correct and heal their mouths.
- Flap surgery – In this procedure, our doctors fold back the gums on each tooth to clean underneath. This also allows our doctors to see how bad the bone and root decay is underneath.
- Gum grafts – If the tissue decay underneath the gums is severe enough, we may remove the infected tissue and graft in new, healthy tissue from another part of your mouth.
- Bone grafts – In the most severe cases of gum disease, the infection will have eaten away at the bone underneath your tooth. We can use your own bone, donated bone, or synthetic material in order to stimulate the regrowth of the support bones under your teeth.
Our Cutting Edge Technology for Periodontal Care
Redondo Beach patients that come to our practice will have access to the absolute latest in dental technology. Of course we believe in a team approach to getting you healthy. But we also believe in using all of the modern tools available to help you get healthy.
We are the only practice in the region with a Solea CO2 laser that allows us to comfortably perform deep dental surgery without having to make incisions or use anesthesia. Our hygienists are trained to use lasers, chemo-therapeutic agents and antibiotics to help destroy the bacteria that causes periodontal disease.
If you have concerns about root sensitivity, receding gums, loose teeth, or have been told you have gum disease, give us call immediately at (310) 542-6988. We are firm believers in sedation dentistry because we never want anxiety to keep our patients from making healthy choices about their dental hygiene. Contact us today!