Advanced Materials and Planning for Your Dental Crowns
If you have a damaged tooth, a dental crown can restore its functionality and appearance. Your crown will fit over your tooth, and it will be custom-made to complement your smile. Dr. Stalley has all the equipment in the office to provide same-day crowns when appropriate. We offer several types of crown materials, including gold, porcelain, composite, and zirconia. To learn more about dental crowns, schedule a consultation at our Redondo Beach practice today.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are caps that encase your damaged teeth. Crowns are especially suited for:
- Repairing cracked teeth
- Covering cavities that are too large for a filling
- Supporting weakened teeth
- Enhancing teeth with severe stains or other cosmetic flaws
- Completing a root canal procedure
- Topping a dental implant
Dental Crown Placement
Before placing a crown, Dr. Stalley will carefully reshape your tooth, trimming away some material to make room for the restoration. Next, we will take impressions of your tooth, so that your crown will fit comfortably and blend naturally with your smile. Typically, we use advanced digital imaging to obtain the most accurate images possible.
We will send these impressions to a dental lab, where technicians will create your crown. We have worked with the same outstanding lab for 30 years and can attest to the quality of their work. When the crown is fabricated, your dentist will attach your restoration using dental cement. After this last appointment, you will typically enjoy fully restored dental function.
We also offer same-day crowns for qualified patients. We will take digital impressions of your teeth using our CEREC® (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics) imaging system, which will generate a three-dimensional map of your teeth. These images will guide our in-office milling machine in creating the crown from a single block of porcelain. The entire fabrication process takes a matter of minutes.
In some cases, Dr. Stalley can also perform a root canal and place a crown in a single day. Before beginning treatment, he will determine the right choice for your particular needs.
Dental Crown Materials
We offer crowns made from many different materials. These include:
- Gold: Although gold is incredibly strong, it does not blend with your smile. Typically, we recommend gold crowns only for the back teeth.
- Porcelain: Porcelain crowns look extremely lifelike. They can be color-matched to your surrounding teeth, and they offer a natural translucence.
- Composite: Composite crowns do tend to wear away more quickly than other restorative materials.
- Zirconia: This advanced material offers the durability of metal and the lifelike appearance of porcelain.
- IPS e.max®: Like zirconia, e.max® offers the durability of metal. It also provides a lifelike sheen that makes it nearly indistinguishable from natural teeth.
At your consultation, we will help you choose the right material for your health needs, cosmetic dentistry goals, and budget.
Restore Your Smile Today
To find out more about crowns and which material may be right for you, schedule an appointment at Redondo Beach Dental Group today.