Getting Rid of Sensitivity After Teeth Whitening Procedures
Everyone loves to have a nice bright white smile, but bright teeth don’t come naturally. As we age, and because of various environmental and life choices, we all experience some degree of teeth discoloration. Our doctors at Redondo Beach Dental Group can help you get the smile you’ve always wanted. We combine in-office treatments with at-home teeth whitening trays, so you get the whitest teeth possible. But one thing man patients suffer from after they undergo teeth whitening is teeth sensitivity. Below we will discuss ways you can get rid of this sensitivity after your teeth whitening procedure.
- Build Up Your Resistance with Sensitive Toothpaste – It is a good idea for Redondo Beach residents to start using sensitive toothpaste a few weeks before you have your teeth whitening procedure. This will help build up your resistance, and though it may not completely eliminate your discomfort after your session, it will definitely
- Avoid Hot and Cold Food and Drinks – Almost everyone who has a teeth whitening procedure will experience some degree of teeth sensitivity for a period of time In order to help avoid this discomfort, you should avoid food and drinks that are too hot or too cold. Instead, room temperature food and drinks will help keep you from experiencing that sharp pain from sensitive teeth.
- Brush with a Soft Toothbrush – Not only should you use a soft toothbrush after your teeth whitening procedure at Redondo Beach Dental Group, but you should also use one before having your teeth whitened. If you brush gently, and in a circular motion, you will be able to clean your teeth as advised, without increased sensitivity. And don’t forget to use lukewarm water to rinse your mouth!
- Use Fluoride to Help Minimize Sensitivity – How much fluoride a toothpaste or mouthwash has, varies from brand to brand. Fluoride helps block the pain signals in your mouth, which in turn decreases teeth sensitivity. Look for products that contain more fluoride to optimize the benefit. You can even use a fluoride gel applied to your teeth for 5 minutes without swallowing. This will remineralize your teeth, which decreases sensitivity.
- Drink Through a Straw – Many of our Redondo Beach patients find it easier to drink through a straw for a few days after their teeth whitening procedure. This is because it allows the liquid you drink to mostly bypass your teeth and give you some relief.
- Use Over-The-Counter Pain Medication – If you experience sensitivity after teeth whitening that you just can’t bear, you can use anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen. Be sure our doctors have given you the okay before taking medication, however.
Call Our Doctors Today to Learn More
If you’re ready to get those teeth nice and bright, give our doctors a call at Redondo Beach Dental Group! They are passionate about making each of their patients feel like family by providing exemplary care.
Make your teeth whitening appointment today and learn how you can be on your way to a beautiful smile. Just call (310) 542-6988 and speak with a member of their friendly staff.