8 Tips to Help You Choose Dental Care Products
Taking care of your teeth is one of the best ways to help prevent cavities and tooth loss. At Redondo Beach Dental Group, we recommend brushing and flossing regularly to help keep your teeth in tip-top dental health. However, the products you choose when you’re caring for your teeth also makes a different. From the type of toothbrush you buy to the toothpaste you use, having the right dental equipment at home is crucial to having a healthy, clean mouth.
For our Redondo Beach patients, we know that keep your teeth clean is important to you. As periodontics specialists, we are aware of how necessary it is to have the right tools to fight against cavities and tooth decay. When choosing the right dental care products, it’s important to keep a couple of these tips in mind:
- Choose the right toothbrush. Choosing your toothbrush is the first step to getting the proper dental care products. If you get a toothbrush that’s too soft, it won’t help fight against plaque and other build-up. However, if you get a toothbrush that has hard bristles, you may end up hurting yourself or causing your gums to bleed. Our periodontics experts recommend choosing a toothbrush that is firm, yet gentle enough when you’re brushing your teeth.
- Pick the best toothpaste for you. As dentists that specialize in periodontics, we are familiar with several types of toothpaste. There is tartar control toothpaste, desensitizing toothpaste, whitening toothpaste and more. It’s best for Redondo Beach patients to pick a toothpaste that is best suited to their individual needs.
- Use technology to your advantage. With our advancements in technology, there are powered and electric toothbrushes. These options work well for protecting your teeth and cleaning them properly. Manual toothbrushes will still do the trick; however electronic brushes are an efficient alternative.
- Pay attention to details. When choosing a toothbrush, notice what kind of brush you’re getting and pay attention to the rubber tip on the handle end of your toothbrush. This rubber tip is usually used to massage your gums after brushing.
- Consider a fluoride mouth rinse. These types of rinses are especially popular in periodontics. Fluoride is an effective way to coat your teeth with a material that protects against cavities. Used in moderation, this can be a great tool for good dental health.
- Don’t just count on oral irrigators or sprays. Be aware that you will still have to brush regularly.
- Know the truth about mouthwash. Mouthwash can help make your breath smell a lot better. However, it does not actively clean your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly. Some Redondo Beach patients may not realize that their toothbrush has a shelf life. After a couple of months, you should toss out your old toothbrush and get a fresh one, for optimal dental health.
If you would like more tips on choosing the right dental care products, call our Redondo Beach office anytime. Our periodontics specialists will be happy to help you in any way.